Sexual Immorality is an Attitude of the Heart
But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery
with her in his heart. —Matthew 5:28
The declaration made by Jesus teaches that sexual impurity begins before the immoral act is
committed. In other words, sexual impurity feeds and grows in the attitudes of the heart. This
means the desire to act in an immoral fashion already exists in the individual; therefore, it simply
waits for the opportunity to be carried out.
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness…
According to the book of Galatians, the four sexual sins are adultery, fornication, uncleanness, and
lewdness (lustfulness). Other illicit sins originate in these four. All of these acts tempt, entrap, and
destroy those who practice them. These are all illicit acts that destroy adults and children,
marriages, and families. Although society wants these sins to be regarded as something to be
tolerated, it is also being destroyed by sexual immorality.
How do sexual sins begin?
Sexual sins begin when Satan plants a seed in the mind in the form of a bad thought.
The word “adultery” means having a sexual relationships with another person outside the
The word “fornication” means s a sexual relationship between two people who are not married.
Consequences of adultery and fornication:
● Death. Adultery and fornication cause spiritual, physical, and emotional death.
● Shame. Adultery and fornication produce emotional wounds and shame.
● Judgment. People who commit adultery or fornication will be judged by God and will not
inherit His Kingdom.
● Corruption of the soul.
● Loss of family. People who commit adultery risk losing their family. Adultery is a biblical
case where divorce is allowed. The first people to be hurt through adultery are our family
members. When children grow up, they generally also commit the sin of adultery because this
is a curse that can be inherited. Furthermore, there are many scars left in the heart of the
betrayed spouse such as: Unforgiveness, bitterness, and hate because of the betrayal or
I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another,
commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery. —Matthew 19:9
Uncleanliness is a moral stain in people who practice lasciviousness and sexual behaviors. This
is a combination of adultery, fornication, masturbation, homosexuality, addiction to
pornography, and more. People who do not stop the adultery or fornication will fall deeper into
sexual sin because they no longer care if they go from one sin to the other and thus fall into
Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their
bodies among themselves. —Romans 1:24
4. Lewdness (lustfulness)
The word “lewdness” comes from the Greek word aselgeia which denotes excess, absence of
restraint, shameful indecency, and unlimited depravity.
Causes of Sexual Sins
There are three main reasons that cause sexual sin:
1. Generational curses: Most sexual sins that keep people in bondage are repetitive,
inherited from their parents, grandparents, and family members.
2. Sexual oppressions: The root of sexual sins can be traced back to traumas or past events
that served as entry points to demonic influences of immorality such as: Rape, incest, or
any other type of abuse. For example, it is common for children who were sexually abused
to grow up struggling with spirits of addiction to pornography, homosexuality, or to also
become sexual predators.
3. Pornography. Nowadays, most media—television, internet, social—include the
pornographic ingredient at different levels; this can greatly affect the mind. Therefore, we
must take all thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ.
How can you avoid sexual sin and be free of it?
● Identify if it is caused by the influence of a demonic spirit. If the problem has become
compulsive (if it is controlling or dominating your will), there is a wicked spirit controlling
● Run from sin. Do not entertain evil thoughts. Do not be alone in places where you know
you can be tempted. Temptation and sexual sin cannot be resisted or rebuked. Do not wait
for these to come. Do not entertain them. Run!
But it happened about this time, when Joseph went into the house to do his work, and none of
the men of the house was inside, that she caught him by his garment, saying, “Lie with me.”
But he left his garment in her hand, and fled and ran outside. —Genesis 39:11-12
Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits
sexual immorality sins against his own body. —1 Corinthians 6:18
TEN MOST COMMON SEXUAL ILLICIT PRACTICES
The following derive from the four main sins listed in Galatians 5:19:
1. Masturbation: The habit of procuring personal sexual joy by manually exciting the genital
organs to obtain sexual pleasure. Masturbation is practiced by choice or by inherited influence.
This sin turns into a habit.
2. Sexual problems caused by incest, abuse, or rape
These experiences are always devastating. They cause immediate and long-term consequences
such as: Betrayal, emotional coldness, frigidity in women and impotency in men, and/or guilt.
Some victims think that sex is dirty and should not be practiced within the marriage covenant;
therefore, they are unable to enjoy it.
3. Promiscuity by choice
Generally speaking, people who become promiscuous or practice a chaotic sexual lifestyle have
low self-esteem and therefore seek to fill a void that only the love of God can fill.
Consequences of promiscuity, in addition to the consequences that come from the practice of
adultery and fornication (corruption and fragmentation of the soul, destruction of the family, guilt,
and shame) in the life of the individual that practices sexual promiscuity:
● Satan binds and uses their bodies as puppets without self will. Only God can cut those ties
of sin that bind their will.
● People become more dependent on sex.
● People become emotionally unstable and double-minded.
● People are never satisfied. They feel incomplete and unhappy and even begin to use alcohol
and drugs to satisfy what their sexual disorder cannot satisfy.
● They cause spiritual, physical, and emotional death in their lives.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. —Proverbs
4. Sexual fantasies
Sexual fantasies can dominate the mind causing people to lose their sense of reality. These
fantasies sometimes provoke immoral activity and even spiritual infidelity, especially during
times when they imagine being with another person or want to reproduce in their wedding bed
what they have seen in movies.
Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God
will judge. —Hebrews 13:4
The Greek word pornografos comes from the word “porno” which means “prostitute” and
from the word grafo which means “to write.” Pornography is the complacent representation of
sexual acts shown through videos, adult films, magazines, internet, and live sex acts. Earnings
from the pornography industry in the United States surpass the 6.2 billion dollars per year—
this amount is greater than earnings derived from sports and entertainment combined.
6. Homosexuality and Lesbianism
Homosexuality and lesbianism are a perversion of sexual relationships produced by the sexual
attraction oriented towards a person of the same sex. God loves the homosexual individuals,
but He hates the sin of homosexuality. Sadly, the church of Christ has judged and criticized
these people instead of helping and bringing them to the knowledge of the truth. The Word
commands that we condemn and hate sin but to love the person. Homosexuality is caused by
God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what
is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their
lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves
the penalty of their error which was due. —Romans 1:26-27
What are some causes of homosexuality?
• A generational curse: Homosexuality can be caused by a generational curse passed down
through the bloodline.
• Rejecting the gender of the unborn child: When parents expect a baby boy but a baby
girl is born or vice versa. In this case, the baby directly receives his or her parents’ rejection
directly into the spirit.
• Rebellion against the parents: Sometimes, when a boy or girl feels pressured or is
excessively praised for his or her virtues as a boy or a girl, the child rebels by changing
gender in order to destroy the image he or she felt was imposed.
• Sexual abuse: It is common to find adults who were sexually abused as children exhibit
• Paternal or maternal domination: When a son or daughter who is controlled by the
mother or father show interest in someone else, the parents will oppose the relationship
because they feel rejected, regarding their child’s new love interest as people who are
competing for their child’s affection.
• Homosexual relationships that are freely chosen. These relationships are present in
people who have no personal or generational history of homosexuality but who are in
bondage to sexual sins that have opened doors to this spirit.
How can you be free of sexual immorality?
• Repent and confess your sin before God
• Break and end any generational curse of sexual immorality.
• Renounce and cast out the spirits of sexual immorality that can hide behind this sin.
• Ask the Lord to fill the empty areas with His presence.
• Walk away from people and places that can cause you to commit the same sin.
• Throw away anything that led you to that sin.
1. The teacher will lead the disciples to make the decision to repent of every sexual sin.
2. Help them to freely renounce every spirit mentioned in this class.
3. Finally, affirm them in their decision to reject and turn their backs on every practice of sexual
4. After each new believer has renounced all the spirits of sexual immorality, the teacher will
exercise his/her authority over those spirits and cast them out of each believer.